An Open Letter to My Pastor


Day 12/40

Dear Pastor Barry,

It seems like I've known you my entire life; like somehow I've prayed your presence into my earliest, most precious memories.

As a young woman, and not one raised by a pastor (though my father is a Godly man), I hardly know the first thing about being a pastor. Because my mother is your assistant, and was an assistant to a few pastors before you, I get a glimpse into what that might be like. But I think probably less than a percentage.

I always thought being a pastor seemed like such a heavy burden to carry. So much responsibility. It requires tremendous patience and grace. Scares me to death because I don't think I personally have the capacity to be that much like Jesus.

But you do.

I've come to you on short notice, sometimes just a knock on your office door, asking for advice with tears in my eyes. I always knew you would gently tell me the truth, although oftentimes I already knew what the truth is and just wanted to hear your voice tell me. As a woman in her 20s, there are a lot of hard decisions I have to make that will shape the rest of my life. The weddings I attend, the friends that I have, the man that I marry. 

Your words have always been of encouragement and conviction. You don't let the evil stay in the cracks of good where I forget to sweep. You have opened my eyes to the deeper meaning of repentance, of God's wrath, but also his unending grace. Enough about me...

You've started a revolution at our church. I have gone to this church since I can remember. I was in preschool at the other location and our current location. I remember when the halls were filled with people. I remember when we'd have Christmas plays with a huge Christmas tree that people would do hand dances on with light-up gloves (yes, that really happened).

Our hallways aren't elbow-to-elbow anymore. But you know what is? The Holy Spirit. There's peace. There's faith. There's hope. And greatest of all, there's love. We really wrap our arms around each other. My youth group was never what those kids have now. Those young people are making lifelong friends. I wished I had that.

And I say all this knowing that it's God's work. It's all part of God's greater purpose for all of us. His plan. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't think that it was a little bit because you took the time to sculpt the clay he put on your wheel. 

Thank you for everything you have done, are doing, and will do for me, my family, and our church family. You have been an answered prayer and a great blessing to many, and especially to me.

-Becky, Jr.

P.S. more banana bread coming your way soon.

Comments

Popular Posts