A letter to my future self

Almost four years ago, I wrote a letter to my younger self.

I think instead of living in the past like I have much of my life, it's time to start looking ahead. I want to encourage my future self. So...



Dear future self,

It's you from who knows how long ago. A few months, years, decades even. How's life treating you?

How's the spouse and kids? Do we even have those yet?

I hope that by the time you're reading this you've realized what you're capable of to the fullest extent. Now as I'm writing this, I know that we are capable of a lot more than we thought even a few months ago, but I hope we continue to grow into ourself - continue believing in ourself.

I hope that no matter what stage of life you are in, you are content. Whether you are married or unmarried, childbearing or childless, rich or poor, tired or energized, inspired or burnt-out, I hope that you are pleased with what you've accomplished. I know that in this moment, you are not. You want so much for yourself and so much more out of yourself. It doesn't seem like there is enough time in the day to do all that you want to do. Sometimes that makes you want to do nothing. But by the time you're reading this again in the future, I want you to be able to look back, on this time and the time to come, and be proud.

I hope that you are confident in everything that you are. I want you to look in the mirror and not see everything that you don't like now. I want you to love every piece. I want you to see yourself the way that everyone who loves you sees you. I want you to see yourself the way that He sees you. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. I know that you don't see that in yourself now, but by the time you're reading this years from now, I hope you do.

I hope that you have found more meaning in your life. I hope that every day when you wake up your reason to live becomes more and more clear. In this moment, I know there's a reason, but the reason is not yet obvious. I know now that we are made to be and do great things, but I'm not sure yet what those great things are. 

I hope that you don't care so much about what everyone else thinks of you, especially people who don't matter.

I hope that you feel beautiful every single day.

I hope that your seasonal sadness has subsided.

I hope that you wake up every morning ready to take on the day.

I hope that you know who loves you and you don't waste your time on those who don't.

I hope that you have written so much more.

I hope that you don't let your emotions get the best of you.

I hope that you love you.

And I hope that you have learned to love me, too.

See you soon,

-B

Comments

Popular Posts