An Open Letter to my Dad

Day 5/40

Dear Dad-

A girl's relationship with her dad is one of the most important relationships she will ever have. A good dad teaches his daughter how a man should treat her by the way he treats her and the way he displays his love to her mother. A great dad teaches his daughter all of the things that he knows so that his daughter won't be impressed by a boy doing something simple like changing a tire or putting up drywall.

Thank God I have a great dad. ;)

In all seriousness, seeing the way you love Mom has given me incredibly high standards for my future husband. You have done everything you possibly could for Mom to follow her dreams. In the past 3 years she's gotten to kiss you (and cry) under the Eiffel Tower, stand in Times Square on New Years Eve, and eat her way through Italy, all because you worked hard for her to experience it. And it seems like your favorite stories from all of these trips involve seeing the smile on Mom's face.

You broke so many generational curses. You have learned to be more patient and understanding. You make a conscious effort to accept people the way they are. You show me every day what it is like to love the way that Jesus does.

You're always in the background, letting everyone else have their moment. You don't like when people go out of their way to recognize you. But, Dad, you deserve to be recognized every single day. You are the poster child for selflessness.

When I went through the darkest times in my life, you were likely the only one who didn't succumb to making emotional decisions. You stuck to the facts and made sure that every decision you made was going to be the best decision for me in the long run. You made sure you asked all of the important questions and now, as an adult, I know that I am a much healthier, better version of myself because of that than I would have been otherwise.

And not only have you been a great husband, but you've been a great dad. One of my favorite memories I have of you was when I learned how to ride a two-wheel bike. We were riding toward the mailbox on the driveway of the house on Fairview Drive. I said "Okay, Daddy, I'm ready for you to let go!" and when I looked over, your arms were already out, wide open, your smile beaming with pride.

Dad, when I think of you, I'm still that little girl on her two-wheel bike. Sometimes when I consider things that seem scary and I need a little reassurance, I know that my Dad already believed I could. Even when I don't know that I can do it, you do. You have always been one of my biggest encouragers. And I never have to wonder if my Dad is proud of me because he makes it abundantly clear to me that he is every chance he gets. I know that when I finally take the leap and I look over, my dad will be there by my side, arms wide open just in case I fall, but he knows that I won't.

Thank you for loving me, Dad. It is an absolute pleasure to be your daughter.

Oh, and thanks for the dimples. I get a lot of compliments on them. ;)

I love you, Dad. Now as I'm writing this, and now as you're reading it.

-Rebekah Kathryn

Comments

Popular Posts