An Open Letter to My Sister's Husband

Day 17/40

Dear Eric,

I am so blessed that my sister married someone I can brag about. When people ask about my sister, her marriage, or her husband, I bask in the chance to boast about you like a cat in the morning sun creeping across the carpet.

Not once have I doubted your love, commitment, and devotion to my sister. I showed up to a few of her shows, and whether they were packed or you and the bartender were the only people there, you paid such close attention. You listen to her sing a Miranda Lambert song for the thousandth time as if it were the first. I can say there is no way I'd be able to do that.

Like my Dad does for my Mom, you make all of my precious sister's dreams come true. When she says "jump," you say "how high?" Or maybe when she says "I can't jump," you say "then let's try a hop first."

At your wedding reception I read you and everyone who loves you the story of Jacob and Rachel. How Jacob worked tirelessly for several years so that he could marry Rachel. The Bible says that all of those years felt like only a few days because of how much he loved her. And Eric, a year and a half since the last time you heard me say those words, the sentiments still ring true.

As you know, Rachel is a very strong-willed person. But when she is not, you are constant. Rachel is confident. But when she is not, you are shouting her praises. Rachel is kind. But when she is not, you are a reminder to be gentle. Rachel is hard-working. But when she is not, you are her kick in the pants. Rachel is a cupful of laughter. But when she is not, you are a faucet of comfort.

You fit into our family perfectly. You make us all laugh and you look out for us like you've done it all your life. With you, there is never a dull moment. You pay attention to details and you remember the little things. You're not afraid to be honest even when it hurts. As weird as it is to say, you feel like a big brother to me. It feels like you've been a part of my life for so much longer than 3 years. 

Thank you for everything you do for me, my family, and my sister. Even the things that we never see or know about. Thank you for honoring, respecting, encouraging, challenging, reassuring, comforting, and loving my sister and our family the way that you do. If I could've built a husband for my sister like a Lego set, I wouldn't have been able to build one as amazing as you. I am so richly blessed to call you my brother-in-law.

I love you, Eric. And I love that you love my sister. I hope that my husband loves me like that.

Now as I'm writing this, and now as you're reading it.

-Begah

P.S. Chuck misses Uncle Eric.

Comments

Popular Posts